Melting heart is a wonderful heart opener that is relatively accessible for most. Add in props and this pose is achievable for almost all. It’s a great pose to use close to the beginning of a yin yoga class to help prep for other, deeper heart openers later on.
Get into Melting Heart Step-by-Step
- Begin in a tabletop position.
- Keep your hips stacked over your knees as you walk your hands forward.
- Melt your heart and forehead to the mat until they touch.
- Option to lift your chin and settle it on the mat instead of your forehead.
- Physical: A heart opener that stretches the shoulder joint and benefits shoulder mobility. Compression of the upper and lower back counteract rounding of the spine.
- Energetic: Through compression of the spine the Urinary and Bladder meridians are stimulated. The shoulder stretch opens the Heart and Lung lines. The Stomach and Spleen meridians are stimulated from the chest opening.
- Emotional & Mental: A wonderful pose for contemplation as the heart opens. The heart and throat chakra (when the chin is on the floor) are both activated.
- Any tingling sensations in the arms could be a nerve being pinched. Widen arms, place a bolster under the chest to alleviate pressure, or skip the pose. Try placing one hand under the head at a time.
- For any pain in the neck or spine, keep the forehead to the mat or use a prop to keep the spine neutral.
- Supported Melting Heart: Use a bolster placed horizontally under your bust or upper ribs to bring the mat to you. Release your forehead to the mat or a block.
- Tuck or untuck your toes.
- Pad the knees by folding over your mat or using a folded blanket.
- Reach one arm ahead at a time. Keep the other arm bent with your hand under your forehead.
- Place blocks or a bolster under your hands to intensify the pose.
Get Out of the Pose
- Press firmly into your hands and begin to lift your chest.
- Walk your hands back under your shoulders.
- Child’s pose.
- Crocodile pose.
How Long to Hold Melting Heart?
- 3-5 minutes.
- If your chin is on the ground you may want to hold for less time.