As one of the few poses in yoga that get a juicy stretch for the underutilized inner thighs, dragonfly is ideal to add to your yin sequences.
Get into Dragonfly Pose Step-by-Step
- Start facing the long edge of your mat with your legs in front of you.
- Reach your heels towards the corners of your mat so that your legs open wide.
- Rock forward on your sit bones so that your pelvis tilts forward.
- Fold forward onto your elbows, stomach, blocks, or a bolster.
- Physical: Great for hip mobility and decompresses the spine. Provides a deep stretch for the hamstrings, inner thighs, groin, and entire back body.
- Energetic: From the stretch on the backs of the legs the Urinary Bladder meridian is stimulated. From the inner thigh stretch the Liver and Kidney meridians. And from the inner knees the Spleen meridian. If adding in a side bend, the Gallbladder meridian will also be stimulated.
- Emotional & Mental: Said to be energizing. This pose activates the root and sacral chakras through the inner leg stretch and hinging at the hips.
- For knee injuries either bring the legs closer together or use blocks under the knees.
- Sciatica may be irritated. Elevate the hips by sitting on a folded blanket or bolster.
- For any lower back pain or injuries avoid rounding the spine. Instead, keep the spine straight and focus on rolling forward on your sit bones. Placing one end of a bolster into the ground and resting your head on the other may help support you.
- Bend your torso over either leg. Walk your hand and arm down the inside of the leg you fold over. Drape your opposite arm over your head or behind your lower back to avoid collapsing your chest forward.
- Twist your torso toward either leg. Fold forward over the leg. Keep your arms relaxed on either side of your leg.
Single Leg Bend or Twist
- Draw one foot toward the opposite inner thigh. Practice the side bend or seated twist variation. Using the single-leg variation intensifies the stretch for the hamstring of the extended leg.
Get Out of the Pose
- Draw your hands under your shoulders.
- Gently push yourself back up, keeping your chin into your chest.
- Lift your head last once your shoulders are stacked over your hips.
- Cosmic egg.
- Windshield wipers.
- Reverse tabletop.
How Long to Hold Dragonfly?
- 3-10 minutes.
- For general classes or beginner students hold for up to 6 minutes.
- If practicing variations, hold each for 1-3 minutes.